Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Five Times Gold!

There's few things more inspiring than seeing a whole arena supporting one country. After spending a week in Ottawa watching the World Juniors of hockey, watching Canada rise to the top and take gold for the fifth year in a row, and trying to figure out why the fuck most restaurants in Ottawa are closed on mondays, I'm finally back, and way behind in tings. Its been about a week since my last post so this is going to be a big one. I've taken about 700 photos in ottawa, but i aint got time to post all that!

After waking up at like 9:00 am to leave, we got to our condo around 2pm-ish, after lunches and unpacking and stuff we decided to check out the hockey games. For a week straight i saw 2 games a day, and never got tired.

I soon learned that Ottawa is bland as FUCK, theres honestly nothing to do, and their downtown is like Markham mainstreet, with less people.

A few things happened during the tournament that I'd like to tell you about.

First off i noticed something about the Germans...they have one warmup, its incredibly efficient, it last for five minutes, then they leave. I guess it goes with true German fashion...

The dude beside me for the Canada game had a sign that said "Sweden, stick to making furnature that takes me 4 hours to put together a stupid endtable with an allen key and alot of swearing" and i thought that was super.






Start to my mornings....cold medication...im mad sick. Apc, Tea, Keys




& Starbucks






"Dude, skating on that looks pretty gay, i feel like i'd get bored so quickly"
"Yeah, I remember we used to play long distance hockey and put the nets like 2km apart from each other, i think i had a 6 minute breakaway onetime"




Call me immature, but i find this shit so funny.






FTW.






Little bit of reading material. That book is super...and the times is great.






Lawl HAII I'M LIAM






Little bit of listening material




Little bit of food.






Dont know which of the top 2 I like better, but these are some of my favorite shots from the whole trip, god I love front row.


Hit.


I realized something during the games, it isnt the cheering thats interesting, its the silence before hand. Its hearing the gasp before a goal, or a save, or a deke, that really gets me. Its that moment of terror and ecstasy where the whole game depends on this split second of a manuever that is what really makes games.


After a long ass game with russia, and tying it up with 5.4 seconds left, and a scoreless OT, we went to a shootout. Both horrifying and exhilarating, i was right beside the Team Canada bench as Eberle put the first shootout goal past the Russian goalie. From there, although completely uncharacteristic of his previous play, Tokarski made a brilliant save to keep us in the game, which opened it up for John Tavares. The crowd was on their feet, i could barely hold my camera in fear of it getting knocked away, and watched in fear as Tavaras lined up to take his shot. Surprisingly, he did the same move as Eberle, and scored. Then, Tokarski saved the last (and rather weak) Russian shot, the stadium went wild, and we were off to the gold medal game!


And so, the gold medal game began, Canada Vs. Sweden, for a second year in a row. Here we go...














Possibly my favorite shot.

Such a bitch...


Subban is a dolphin?






The crowd in the Arena was completely red, 100%. We all wore our jerseys, and with one minute left the whole Arena was on their feet, just waiting out the last minute and going through another chorus of "Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, Gooooooooooodbye", and rightfully so.


Tokarski & Hickey rejoice.










Hero shot...












And then we all went home...







0 comments: